Who can use the service (make bids)?

Anyone who has been accepted onto Tower Hamlets Common Housing Register is able to use the service. To apply to join the Housing Register you must be over 18 years of age.

Normally, you can join the housing register as long as you:

  • are not subject to immigration control and have recourse to public funds

  • are over 18 years of age

  • have lived in the borough continuously for the last 3 years or are in housing need

  • are not guilty of bad behaviour

  • do not have a sole or joint income of more than £85,000 per annum

  • are not a home-owner

    You will need to complete an online application form. The application form enables you to apply for a Council or Housing Association rented home.  For details on how to contact a Partner, please see the Contact us section.

    As part of the application process you will be asked to upload documents:  Here are some tips for scanning and uploading documents


Who cannot use the service?

You cannot use this service if you have not completed an application form and been accepted onto the housing register.

  • There are also some people who will not by law be eligible to join the housing register. These are:
  • Certain people who are subject to Immigration Control under the 1996 Asylum and Immigration Act.
  • Certain people from abroad who are not subject to immigration control but who are not habitually resident in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland
  • People (including members of their household) who have been guilty of unacceptable behaviour that makes them unsuitable to be a tenant.

For more detailed information please see the Allocation Scheme document.