Different rules apply for parking on street (the public highway) and on estate in Tower Hamlets.  On street is managed by the Council and the Highways Agency.  Estate parking is managed by the Landlord who owns (or manages) the estate. 

Council estates (including leasehold properties) streets and roads are managed by Tower Hamlets Homes.  Housing Association's (Registered Providers) manage the parking on their estates.  

On our advertised properties we will tell you what the parking availability/rules are, but please read the guidance below as this will help you make an informed choice when bidding for properties.  Please read the parking pages of the Council website.

Car Free Homes

The Council's 'car free homes'  planning policy was introduced in Tower Hamlets in the late 1990s to help reduce traffic congestion and better manage the limited supply of on-street parking spaces. This initiative also helps to reduce the level of air pollution from motor vehicles and encourages more people to walk, cycle and go by public transport.   

Please see full details on the Council website.

Permit Transfer Scheme

Permit Transfer Scheme

The Permit Transfer Scheme (PTS) helps some families move to larger, social rented car-free homes by allowing them to retain one on-street resident car parking permit, subject to the PTS criteria outlined below.

This scheme is subject to all of the Permit Transfer Scheme criteria being met by the resident. Following a review, the criteria was amended as follows:

  1. The applicant must be living in overcrowded housing and must be moving to larger car-free below-market-rate rented housing (excluding any rented housing falling within the intermediate housing tenure) provided by a registered provider or the council.
  2. The new property must have at least three bedrooms and must have more bedrooms than the current property.
  3. The applicant must have held an on-street resident parking permit for at least twelve months prior to moving in to the car free property. However, during this twelve-month period, small breaks in holding a permit are allowed, provided that they do not exceed a total of thirty days*
  4. You must provide all relevant proof that you are eligible, including the duly signed and dated approved tenancy agreement.
  5. After the move, only one on-street resident permit may be held per household. If a member of the household holds or obtains an on-street resident permit as a result of being or becoming a Blue Badge holder then the household may not hold or obtain a permit under the PTS as well.
  6. In order to remain eligible under the PTS, you must renew your permit on or before the expiry date.
  7. These revised criteria apply from 2 April 2018 and revoke the original criteria.

*In the case of a homeless household who were placed in temporary accommodation outside the borough, the twelve-month period will be the twelve months prior to being placed outside the borough or, if a permit was held for less than the twelve-month period then the length of time that the family has been placed outside of the borough will also be counted towards the qualifying period.